Friday 29 March 2013

Worcestershire's batting

          
   Inside that room I would probably find the laser-leveled batsman's paradise that is currently hosting the third Test between New Zealand and England. For me the series has proved disappointing so far, in no small part due to the placid nature of the pitches. I have heard journalists and former players comment that had it not been for rain there might well have been results in both matches, but for me the series has been dominated too much by the bat.We've also signed Thilan Samaraweera as our overseas player for the season, with New Zealand allrounder Jacob Oram joining us for the T20. Samaraweera has an outstanding Test average and we are all looking forward to him arriving, and the whole world knows Oram's match-winning ability with bat and ball in the shortest format. Seeing Oram and Gareth Andrew batting together will be a fearful sight for many opposition bowlers, and it could see a few supporters reaching for the hard hats. I'm entering my fifth season with the club and this looks like our most explosive batting line-up since I joined, especially when you consider the aggressive talents of Moeen Ali and Alexei Kervezee. Having said that, it does not take away the fantastic effort of Nick Compton, who scored his maiden Test century in the Wellington Test. Compo is someone I've bowled against a lot in county cricket, and he is the player who values his wicket the highest. From my experience and speaking to fellow professionals, he has all the shots in the book too, but chooses to play within himself and is willing to bat long periods of time to accumulate his runs, which is not in keeping with the spirit of the time in county cricket. (The pacing Bhogle says I should've said Zeitgeist instead of 'spirit of the time'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment