Tuesday 9 April 2013

John Mooney apologises

        
  Mooney may face disciplinary action by Cricket Ireland despite his apology.Mooney was in the Ireland squad at their first World Cup in 2007 and was named Ireland Player of the Year in 2010. Baroness Thatcher, the 87-year-old former prime minister, died on Monday after suffering a series of strokes.He hit the winning runs in Ireland's famous victory over England in the 2011 World Cup and was the team's leading wicket-taker in the tournament.I'd like to assure my family, friends, employers and team-mates that I have learned a very valuable lesson and in future will stick to focusing on my game," added Mooney.I would like to apologise to anyone that I upset with my tweets - I realise now that they were offensive to many and I have deleted them, he said. Deutrom, who welcomed Mooney's apology, explained that a clause in player contracts refers to public comments.Cricket Ireland chief executive Warren Deutrom described the comments as "crass, insensitive and offensive.The 31-year-old, who plays for club side North County, won his first Ireland cap in 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment