Monday 22 April 2013

Mervyn Westfield summoned

          
  Westfield is currently banned from professional cricket for five years.I have made it abundantly clear to the ECB that I have no desire to participate in this hearing or to provide any further evidence to that which I had previously done in June 2012, Westfield said in a statement.In June last year an ECB disciplinary panel found 32-year-old Kaneria guilty of pressuring Westfield into spot-fixing during a one-day game in 2009.As I understand, by not attending today, the ECB would return to the High Court and a warrant for my arrest would be requested. I am not sure what the ECB are hoping to gain by these actions. The former Pakistan spinner's subsequent lifetime ban was recognised internationally, while Westfield was banned for five years, but will be allowed to participate in club cricket after three years.I am here today not because of the summons, nor because of any other party. My family have stood by me throughout the torture I have been made to live with this.The 24-year-old seamer also served two months of a four-month jail sentence after a trial at the Old Bailey.I am here to bring to an end the pain and suffering that I am forced to continuously suffer and in the hope that after today my family and I will never be subjected to the humiliation and hurt we have gone through in the last three years.Kaneria's appeal hearing was initially set for December, but was delayed when the ECB was unable to persuade Westfield to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment