Monday 22 April 2013

Shane Watson gives up

           
  Watson averaged 16.5 runs with the bat, his highest innings total being just 28 despite relinquishing bowling duties to concentrate on his run-scoring.I wrestled with the decision for some time. However, once I made up my mind, I informed Cricket Australia so the selectors could consider their options for the Ashes given the squads will be announced soon," said Watson.He was also among four players dropped for the third Test after failing to provide a presentation to coach Mickey Arthur on team strategy, although he captained the side in the fourth Test following injury to Michael Clarke.National selector John Inverarity said: "Shane Watson should be commended for making the tough call to step down from the vice-captaincy to focus on playing. Watson was named vice-captain in March 2011 but has not scored a Test century since October 2010.I won't be the vice-captain in title but I think I can still be a leader and strong contributor around the group.Australia will hope his decision to give up the role will prompt an upturn in form with the first Ashes Test against England beginning on 10 July at Trent Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment