Tuesday 16 April 2013

Kamran Akmal talks about being relegated to the fringe

Do you count how many catches you've dropped?The media does. They love doing it. [Laughs]Dropping one always puts extra pressure, so you quickly have to bring yourself back into the game and think ahead instead of counting or remembering them. But at the start of the day you never want to drop any chances.Did you always want to be a keeper?Yes, I chose it myself after everyone around me at my club [Cricket Centre] encouraged me to do so. I started keeping wicket around the age of 13-14. I played my first international fixture for Pakistan Under-15 against Australia in England as a wicketkeeper-batsman What's it like being a wicketkeeper?There was a time when wicketkeeping was perceived as a thankless job. But, especially after 2000, I think the role of a wicketkeeper was extended with players like [Adam] Gilchrist and [Mark] Boucher, who have taken the role to a different height. Now a wicketkeeper is one of the most important players in the team.It's not about just keeping, he needs to motivate the team, and he is a symbol of energy. He is the one who remains on his toes every single ball and talks to the bowler with his eyes without losing his own concentration. And he has another role to play as a batsman.You last played Test cricket back in 2010. Do you miss it?I am missing it because it's the format that gives you ample time to express yourself and your abilities. I am enjoying playing limited-overs series but there is always a sense of emptiness without playing Test cricket. I have delivered in the past in the format and I'm eager to do it again, but it's a decision the selectors have to make. I was actually dropped and I know the place is still unsettled.You have a better batting average than some of the finest former wicketkeepers in Pakistan.I think for a wicketkeeper-batsman, the batting average must be around 30 to 35. I have dropped my average after 2011 and it's mainly because of the fluctuations in the batting order. It's easy to maintain your average once you play a certain number of Tests for at least one complete year.The selectors say there is no real competitor at the domestic level to replace you in limited-overs. Many wicketkeepers have been tried after 2010 but none have settled in.Like I said before, the role of a wicketkeeper has extended now. The selectors are looking at picking a batsman-wicketkeeper, and maybe they think I am the one who can live up to their expectations. But obviously a day will come when I will call it a day and someone will be ready to take my place.It's always tricky to replace a senior player in the team. Some ten years back I took over from Rashid [Latif] and Moin bhai [Khan]. I had to work extra hard to step into their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment