Friday 5 April 2013

demand on Last-ball six

Choice of game
Since this was the first time I was watching an IPL game live, I really wanted to see Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting and Muttiah Muralitharan play. I scrimmaged for tickets and got them for this game. I had never been to the Chinnaswamy Stadium before, so this turned out to be a multitude of firsts.
Team supported
When in Rome do as the Romans do. I was supporting Bangalore all the way. I even bought their official merchandise from one of the stalls in the stadium. I am always partial when it comes to Tendulkar, but my heart bled red and not blue on this occasion.
Getting in
The arrangements were very systematic and the experience was quite hassle-free. The authorities had planned well and getting in was a breeze. I was seated in one of the best stands in the ground since I could see the ball move in every direction.
Stadium atmosphere
Surreal, but real. The noise blew you off your feet and the music was deafening. I suddenly understood what "cricketainment" meant. This was one big party and everyone was invited. The DJ played some great music and we were dancing in our seats, and at times out of them. The entire stadium was bathed in red, with only a sliver of blue at one end.
Crowd meter
Bangalore lived up to its name. The first round of the Mexican wave went around the stadium five times, and there were few more in the second innings. The crowd cheered for Bangalore, but opened their hearts for Sachin. Whichever part of the ground he went to, the crowd gave him a rousing ovation. They loved Gayle and chanted for a last-ball six. He gave them what they asked for.
Star quotient
We were able to see the Bollywood actor Konkona Sen-Sharma right next to our stand, interacting with the emcee. She looked pretty in a sari and laughed when she heard cries of "Will you marry me?" from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment