Thursday 4 April 2013

Allenby frustrated but committed at Glamorgan

Jim Allenby, the Glamorgan allrounder, remains committed to the club after considering leaving the county.
Allenby, 30, was stripped of the T20 captaincy for 2013 in favour of Australian overseas player Marcus North after leading the side in just five matches last season.
He and Mark Wallace, the four-day captain, had shared the one-day captaincy in 2012 but now North will take on the role in both T20 and YB40 cricket.
"Initially I was extremely disappointed," Allenby told the Western Mail. "I felt after only captaining for five games I was not given a proper run at it. I would be lying if I said I had not considered my future and whether my ambitions might be met elsewhere.
"But these things happen in sport where decisions are made which you don't agree with. I have accepted the decision and completely moved on and I am 100% behind Mark and Marcus. I am absolutely committed to Glamorgan.
In a campaign ruined by the weather, Allenby only had five matches to make his mark as captain. Glamorgan lost three matches but did manage to do the double over Warwickshire. But he is keen for another crack at leadership.
"It has been an ambition of mine for a long time to captain sides because I enjoy the role and feel I am good at it," Allenby said, having missed the club's preseason tour to Potchefstroom with an ongoing medical condition. "Whether I am a future Glamorgan captain we will have to wait and see who is making the decisions. But I still have those ambitions and feel the experiences I have had over the last couple of years will stand me in good stead." I will be playing my cricket where I think I can achieve those goals. I have made no secret of that and will tell anyone who asks me. I want to fulfil my goals here but if it is not we will look at things again. We will see how the next few months go.

No comments:

Post a Comment