Wednesday 1 May 2013

Discarded Afridi vows to make comeback

Pakistan allrounder Shahid Afridi has vowed to make a comeback to Pakistan's one-day squad, claiming that he is "better than most". He was dropped from the side for the upcoming tours of Scotland, Ireland and England for the Champions Trophy in June, along with batsman Umar Akmal and fast bowler Sohail Tanvir."The decision to drop me from the side is taken by the captain (Misbah-ul-Haq)," Afridi told the Daily Jang. "It isn't a big thing if the captain does not want a player but in cricket, being in and out is a one-off thing. It happens and I will soon come back."I am still better than most. I know I have ample cricket left in me and I can represent Pakistan for the next few years. Players usually get dropped but I appeal to my fans to pray for me."Afridi, 33, had been dropped from Pakistan's squad for the ODI series in India in December 2012, but was chosen for the trip to South Africa because of his skill as a legspinner. He failed to take a wicket in 37 overs, though, and scored 126 runs in four innings with a high score of 88. Since the start of 2012, Afridi's taken only 15 wickets in 21 ODIs, and five of those came in one game against Afghanistan. His batting average during this period was 19. He managed to score only 70 runs and take three wickets in four matches for his domestic side last month."I have been training for the England tour. I want to insist once again that I will walk away before being a burden on the side but for a while I understand I have to work hard to come back," said Afridi.However, Afridi could be playing Twenty20 games for Hampshire this season. Due to visa issues, he was forced to miss the T20 matches for the county last year. In 2011, he had a successful stint with the county, taking 17 wickets in 10 matches at 11.17.

No comments:

Post a Comment